60 miles. 3 days. And - with any luck - all 10 toenails.

60 miles. 3 days. And - with any luck - all 10 toenails.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's raining; It's pouring; But I ain't complaining; 'Cause I love the rain

So, you're supposed to train in all kinds of weather to make sure you're ready for the 3-Day.

With this thought in mind, I walked in the rain yesterday and it wasn't so bad. I only had a 3-miler to tackle and it was just gray and chilly for the first two miles. I was thinking I might escape getting wet, but it started to drizzle during my last two laps. Grateful it didn't get too heavy, I finished my walk with a spring in my step, and not too much water in my socks.

Anyway, I'm continuing to train over at the outdoor shopping plaza behind our apartment during the week, as well as for some of my longer walks. Although I'd prefer something more interesting, I'm comfortable with knowing exactly how far I've walked in the event my Garmin dies. Plus - and those of you who know me well will really get this - the ability to dash into the bathroom if necessary just cannot be undervalued. Also, it's pretty much impossible for me to get lost. That being said, I'm ready to suck it up and drive 20 or 30 miles to find a group to walk with because 19 laps is about my maximum, I think, in terms of my tedium threshold.

I did have to laugh, though. Last Saturday during my 10-miler, a woman stopped me outside of the Apple store and said, "I have to ask... how far do you walk? I had everyone in the store watching you the other day. You're here all the time and we're all so curious!"

I laughed and told her I was training for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure and then explained that my training was ramping up every week so it's different every day. I could have kicked myself for not making those little pink business cards SGK suggests to hand out to strangers. Everyone is a potential donor! Oh well. It's on my to-do list, but in the meantime the fact that she asked why I was walking put a smile on my face and made me feel sort of like I should wave at all of the people selling iPads every time I walked by.

As always, last week was a success in the walking department, but not so much in the cross-training department. Just 10-minutes of push-ups and crunches.

Suggested Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 3 Miles Easy Walk
Wednesday - 15 Minutes Moderate Cross-Training
Thursday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Friday - 30 Minutes Easy Cross-Training
Saturday - 10 Miles Moderate Walk
Sunday - 6 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 24

Actual Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Wednesday - 10 minutes push-ups and crunches
Thursday - 3 Miles Moderate Walk
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 10 Miles Moderate Walk
Sunday - 6 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 24


No comments:

Post a Comment