60 miles. 3 days. And - with any luck - all 10 toenails.

60 miles. 3 days. And - with any luck - all 10 toenails.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Got to Move It, Move It

These past two weeks, my motivation level to both walk - and blog - has been pretty low.

But not so low that I didn't get in my miles!

If I'm honest, though, sometimes I have to be a bit of a... (now, how can I say this nicely?)... hardass task master with myself. I have found that if I sit down after work, it's much harder to convince myself that my feet were meant to do anything other than get propped up on the coffee table. So I simply don't allow myself to get comfy. Immediately after I come in the door after work, I feed the cats and change into my workout clothes. And once I have those shoes on, there is no doubt in my mind. I am going to walk.

It helps to have company. Last weekend, I had the chance to meet up with some fellow 3-Dayers out in Hudson for a 7-mile walk along the
Assabet River Rail Trail. It was great to meet some people who have also committed to raise money and walk 60 miles in 3 days in support of breast cancer research and programming.


Although it was only 28 degrees when we started out, it was still a beautiful day and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk. It was, however, a bit of a drive to get there and it made me wish that we had a rail trail closer to where we live. (Yeeahhh, the shopping-plaza walking is getting a bit old.) Thus I was inspired to pick out some of the places I'd like to walk this spring. Cape Cod is at the top of a fairly long list. Although also not super close, something tells me the view would be worth it.

So, motivation issues aside, the week before last went pretty well.

TRAINING WEEK 18

Suggested Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 3 Miles Easy Walk
Wednesday - 15 Minutes Moderate Cross-Training
Thursday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Friday - 30 Minutes Easy Cross-Training
Saturday - 7 Miles Moderate Walk
Sunday - 6 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 21

Actual Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 3 Miles Moderate Walk
Wednesday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 7 Miles Moderate Walk on the Assabet Trail
Sunday - 6 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 21

You will note that I still am not bringing my cross-training game. These past two weeks have featured sleet and snow. (Yup. Mother Nature is still on my sh*t list). Since I've had to move my walks around a bit to avoid nasty weather conditions, I haven't felt inspired to do anything beyond meet my mileage goals. That will change this week! (I think!)

This past week went fairly well, but this morning I woke up with a bad headache and wound up missing the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Training Kickoff. Initially kind of a bummer. But I'm ultimately glad I missed it because it meant that Ryan and I had a lovely mid-afternoon 3-mile jaunt through one of the neighborhoods in our community. My husband is definitely my favorite walking partner. As the walks get longer, I have a feeling he'll be less enthusiastic about joining me, so I was thrilled I was able to entice him into coming along.

Low mileage and sunshine, people. It inspires us all.

TRAINING WEEK 17

Suggested Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 3 Miles Easy Walk
Wednesday - 15 Minutes Moderate Cross-Training
Thursday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Friday - 30 Minutes Easy Cross-Training
Saturday - 4 Miles Moderate Walk
Sunday - 3 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 15

Actual Training
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 3 Miles Moderate Walk
Wednesday - 5 Miles Moderate Walk
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 4 Miles Moderate Walk
Sunday - 3.25 Miles Moderate Walk
Total Mileage - 15.25


2 comments:

  1. Meag, I used to use that trick to change into running clothes right after work when I was training for the marathon. I work out in the AM now so as soon as I get up, even before I brush my teeth, I put on my workout clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...proud of you....with you in spirit!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete